1B Research

1B Research
Moodboard
Research
Inclusivity
Ethnography
Case Study: Self Assessment

My Action Research project investigates “How can student self-evaluation impact critical thinking, anxiety, and compassion among students of diverse backgrounds, abilities, and needs to bridge inclusive gaps?” It integrates discussions with Carys Kennedy on the transformative potential of self-assessment and feedback methods in higher education for inclusivity. The ethnographic insights from Aksel H. Tjora (2006) on field note-taking underscore the value of nuanced observation in capturing diverse student experiences. A case study with Dynaya Bhutipunthu explores a peer assessment model blending peer and staff evaluation to enhance learning outcomes. These components collectively underpin my research, emphasising adaptable, empathetic educational practices to foster social justice

Inclusivity

In my case study on inclusivity, I discussed how student self-assessment influences critical thinking, anxiety, and compassion in higher education with Carys Kennedy. Carys highlighted the importance of structured, compassionate feedback and the need for flexible learning outcomes, particularly for students with disabilities. She suggested pass-fail and blind marking as alternatives to traditional grading to reduce anxiety. We explored peer assessment’s potential to minimise bias and foster a compassionate teaching atmosphere. Our conversation underscored the necessity for educational practices to be inclusive and adaptable, aligning closely with my research interests.

Ethnography

Aksel H. Tjora (2006) emphasises the importance of nuanced field note-taking in ethnography, showcasing a spectrum from naive observations to interpretative analysis. It introduces ten observation modes, advocating for casual observations over structured interviews to capture authentic social interactions. The study calls for improved note-taking guidelines and empathetic, analytical observation, underscoring the method’s ability to offer deep insights into human behaviours and social dynamics. This approach encourages fresh methodologies in research, highlighting the role of observer positioning and the value of empathetic engagement in ethnographic studies.

Case Study: Self-Assessment

In my case study on self-assessment, I discussed with Dynaya Bhutipunthu the dynamics of student self-assessment in higher education. We explored a model combining 60% peer marking with 40% staff oversight, emphasising collaborative learning and the importance of individual grading in group contexts, over a 12-week project period. This discussion is pivotal for researching how self-assessment influences critical thinking, anxiety, and compassion among students and staff. Through analysing Dynaya’s approach and the subsequent insights gained, I aimed to integrate effective practices into my project, enriching my investigation into educational methodologies.

Please see the Bibliographies following the blog post links

Inclusivity
Ethnography
Case Study: Self-Assessment

ARP MENU

About me
Research Question
Artefact
Research
Rationale
Ethic
Research Methods
Summary Findings
Next Steps
Presentation
ARP Blog Matrix