“In The Garden: Giggles In The Greenery” Anthology

I am pleased to announce my involvement in an innovative comic anthology project titled “In The Garden: Giggles In The Greenery” (ITG), led by director Nica Harrison. This anthology aims to redefine traditional narratives of knowledge exchange, focusing on non-verbal, indigenous learning methods, particularly between different species.

Inspired by extensive research into alternative forms of knowledge dissemination, ITG introduces the character Seraphina, who represents a journey of exploration and discovery through nature’s visions. The anthology is planned as a series of four volumes, each dedicated to exploring the Plant, Fungi, Mineral, and Animal kingdoms, with the initial volume centred on the plant kingdom.

This anthology is a collective effort involving 12 artists, each tasked with interpreting the character Seraphina’s adventures within their unique artistic visions. The project promotes artistic freedom, allowing each contributor to adapt their stylistic approach to the character. My contribution will focus on the plant “Datura,” known for its profound historical and mythological significance, providing a compelling narrative element for my artwork.

The outcome of this collaboration will be a 52-page, riso-printed book, aiming for a hardcover edition. Contributors will receive copies of the anthology, and the collective artworks will be transformed into a short animated film, broadening the project’s impact. The production schedule for 2024 includes an initial briefing in February, followed by a period for artwork creation, culminating in the book’s printing and the animation’s finalization by mid-year.

As this project progresses, I look forward to sharing insights and developments related to my work with “Datura” and the overarching narrative of ITG. This collaborative project significantly explores storytelling, art, and our intrinsic connection to the natural world.