A drawing of a tree

A drawing of a tree
AlteredQualia on Twitter: "TIL Mondrian trees paintings progression feels like evolution of computer graphics played backwards in time. https://t.co/Enx9GLZWtq" / Twitter

The primary objective of the session seemed to be about demystifying educational research within the context of an art college by analysing two ongoing projects and delving into their unfiltered, intricate realities. James Corazzo presented his research on design studio encounters, while Catherine Smith shared her investigation into knowledge production in higher arts education. We were encouraged to explore our interests and convey our ideas through drawing, embodying the art school’s ethos—workshop practice.

Upon reflecting, I appreciated the informal atmosphere and the emphasis on visual expression preceding written communication, which was particularly helpful given my dyslexia. The notion of reduced hierarchies intrigued me, as did the reference to Judith Adler’s “Artists in Offices,” which scrutinizes the conflict between institutional and creative cultures. However, I questioned the value of overly complex theories and pondered the potential of using drawings and space as mediums for communication, bypassing research methods altogether.

Despite its traditional roots, creative ethnography, capitalizing on art school practices, offers an old practical method as an innovative approach to examining salience and decision-making in art. Once a discovery is articulated in words, it gains acceptance. Although this session closely aligned with my practice, I continuously questioned the value of academic research in the arts and education, which often serves as a validation mechanism. I plan to employ ethnography and critical friendship in the course, yet I can only do so because someone took the time to write about these methods.

I wonder when and how the academic world will genuinely open to reality rather than being confined within its circular methodology. As John Berger’s quote about a tree’s drawing suggests, there is a distinction between looking and experiencing. Perhaps our current era needs to be more focused on learning at the expense of genuinely looking.

Corazzo, J., & Gharib, L. (2021). Everyday routines and material practices in the design studio: why informal pedagogy matters. Design and Technology Education: An International Journal, 26 (4), 144-164

Berger, J., 2005. Drawn to that moment. Berger on drawing, pp.64-73.

Image” AlteredQualia on Twitter: “TIL Mondrian trees paintings progression feels like evolution of computer graphics played backwards in time. https://t.co/Enx9GLZWtq” / Twitter