Love!

Love!
The School of Athens (1509–1511) by Raphael, depicting famous classical Greek philosophers in an idealized setting inspired by ancient Greek architecture

Reading can be a daunting task for me. Even a short text like “The Art of Loving in the Classroom – A Defence of Affective Pedagogy” can take up to three days to read, and I would still need additional time to contemplate and elaborate. 

Nevertheless, the title instantly sparked my curiosity, and I began researching the topic: the essay presents a promising teaching approach that counters the adverse effects of the “culture of the new capitalism,” as described by Sennet (2006), which, instinctively, I feel strongly about.

The term “affective pedagogy” represents this inspiring philosophical approach. I appreciate that it is characterized by qualities that define “the love of knowledge” in the etymological sense. It is a deep appreciation for a chosen discipline/practice, a passionate belief in sharing knowledge, and fostering an environment of well-being and open dialogue. It is a method that aligns with my training, as it aims to be challenging yet mindful of the other.

The text also discusses the topic of assessment, which I find less interesting, except for the professional approach I must take. I believe “Assessments” are unnecessary; the only reason “Assessments”  exists is historical dominance and power. Self-reflection should be the only method, but society must shift considerably for it to work, which is unlikely to happen in my lifetime.

What is inspiring about the text is that it offers a vision of hope and encouragement for educators and learners alike in navigating the challenges posed by the current relentless and “vampiristicic” culture. It could contribute to a more nurturing and fulfilling educational landscape. By empowering students to foster curiosity instead of instilling psychological fear, we can establish a deeper connection and an enriched educational experience, which the author calls ‘dramatic friendship’ (Oakeshott, 1991, 537)., which perhaps is a “normal friendship” experience.

Patience, A. (2008). The Art Of Loving In The Classroom: A Defence Of Affective Pedagogy.. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 33(2)..

Sennett, R. (2006). The culture of the new capitalism. New Haven CT and London: Yale University Press.

Oakeshott, M. (1991). Rationalism in politics and other essays. New and expanded edition. Indianapolis, IN: LibertyPress

Image: The School of Athens (1509–1511) by Raphael, depicting famous classical Greek philosophers in an idealized setting inspired by ancient Greek architecture